“Don’t limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time.”
“I spent three days a week for 10 years educating myself in the public library, and it’s better than college. People should educate themselves – you can get a complete education for no money. At the end of 10 years, I had read every book in the library and I’d written a thousand stories.”
After attending TEDxHK, I have thought a lot about teaching practices, and curriculum, During the conference, Dr. Jadis Blurton challenged me to think about what learning that is done at school could not be learned online. Blurton writes” the great need for educational reform is coinciding with technological solutions and innovations.” She spoke about the fact that in fifteen years time, “educational leaders in schools will not be controlling the reformation, “so we educators better think about the value we add as institutions and professionals.”
Each day, I think deeply about what value I am adding to my students’ lives. I occasionally wonder if I am better suited to teach students through online teaching sessions using SKYPE or Google Hangout.
With this in mind, What about the parents that have already decided to offer an education to their children from outside of the classroom? These parents can give teachers a body of knowledge and experience. I feel teaching professionals would be wise to listen to parents of homeschooled students.
Below is a list of questions that I have for parents of homeschool students:
- Are you presently satisfied with your child’s academic growth?
- What lessons do you want your child to learn that they do not learn in a regular school environment?
- What are three things that you look for when making curriculum decisions?
- What would you want in an ideal online teaching service?
- What are your first thoughts when you think of an online school?
- Is homeschooling convenient?
- What help do you need?
- How is each learning day structured?
- How do you give social and emotional learning?
- How do you collaborate with others?
- What teaching tools are most effective?
- Who are your educational mentors?
- Could I speak with you online to discuss this issue further? My SKYPE address is barrymernin
- Well Planned Day for Homeschoolers (parentingzoo.com)
- Why we have chosen to Homeschool Part 4 (awisewomaninthemaking.com)
- What every parent needs to know about homeschooling (onlinecultus.com)
- 10 Websites that Help Make Homeschooling Easy (blackchristiannews.com)
- Confessions of a Homeschooler: Karrie’s Story (homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com)